As mentioned in the previous document of how Status Updates are helpful in tracking an order, these updates hold a lot more important for food aggregators.
There are two types of statuses for the orders sent by the aggregators.
1. Order Status
2. Rider status
As the name implies, these updates signify to the stage of the order in the order life cycle. Order status updates for Zomato and Swiggy are —
- Placed: The order is placed by the customer and the restaurant has received the order. This is the initial status on an order.
- Acknowledged: The restaurant has accepted to prepare the order.
- Mark Food Ready: The restaurant has prepared the order and it's ready to be picked up by the delivery executive.
- Dispatched: The delivery executive has picked up the order from the restaurant to be delivered to the customer. This status is directly picked from the rider status Out For Delivery.
- Completed: The order is delivered to the customer marking the end of the order life cycle. This status is directly picked from the rider status Delivered.
|Note — The status updates can be up-stream (UrbanPiper to aggregator) or down-stream (aggregator to UrbanPiper). While Acknowledged and Mark Food Ready are up-stream status updates, Dispatched and Completed are down-stream status updates.|
These statuses give information about the delivery executive that will deliver the order. Rider status updates for Zomato Swiggy are —
- Assigned: The rider is assigned to pick-up the order. The aggregators also send the rider information like name and phone number with this update.
- At Store: The rider has arrived at the store to pick-up the order.
- Out For Delivery: The rider has picked up the order and is out ready to deliver the order to the customer.
- Delivered: The order is delivered to the customer marking the end of the order life cycle.
After understanding what each status update means, we can look into their significance for the aggregators.
The time taken for an order to be marked as Acknowledged and Mark Food Ready is used to determine the rating of a restaurant on the aggregators.
The same statuses are also used for settlement in terms of aggregator cancellations.
For instance, consider the three scenarios mentioned below where the aggregator cancels an order:
- If the order is canceled before the order is Acknowledged, no refund is shared with the restaurant.
- If the order is canceled after the order is Acknowledged, a 50% refund shared to the restaurant.
- If the order is canceled after the order is Mark Food Ready, a 100% refund shared to the restaurant.
- The exact refund amount depends on the contract between the aggregator and the restaurant.
|Note — This may differ with respect to the aggregator's policies. For more information, please get in touch with the respective aggregator PoC's.|